Knowledge Hub

Learn More About Commercial Property.

Energy Performance Certificates - Non-Domestic (Commercial)

Energy Performance Certificates - Non-Domestic (Commercial)


1. Overview

An Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) rates how energy efficient your building is using grades from A to G (with ‘A’ the most efficient grade).

When you need an EPC

You must have an EPC if:

  • You rent out or sell the premises
  • A building under construction is finished
  • There are changes to the number of parts used for separate occupation and these changes involve providing or extending fixed heating, air conditioning or mechanical ventilation systems

When you must display one

You must display an EPC by fixing it to your commercial building if all these apply:

  • The total useful floor area is over 500 square meters
  • The building is frequently visited by the public
  • An EPC has already been produced for the building’s sale, rental or construction

How much it costs:

The cost of an EPC will depend on the building being assessed.

How long it lasts:

All EPCs are valid for 10 years.

Penalty for not having one if required on terms above:

You can be fined between £500 and £5,000 based on the rateable value of the building if you don’t make an EPC available to any prospective buyer or tenant.


2. How to get a certificate

If you require an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) you can purchase one through the Virtual Commercial website.


3. Exemptions

You don’t need an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) if you can demonstrate that the building is any of these:

  • Listed or officially protected and the minimum energy performance requirements would unacceptably alter it
  • A temporary building only going to be used for 2 years or less
  • Used as a place of worship or for other religious activities
  • An industrial site, workshop or non-residential agricultural building that doesn’t use much energy
  • A detached building with a total floor space under 50 square metres
  • Due to be demolished by the seller or landlord and they have all the relevant planning and conservation consents

Vacant buildings and demolition

A building is also exempt if all of the following are true:

  • It’s due to be sold or rented out with vacant possession
  • It’s suitable for demolition and the site could be redeveloped
  • The buyer or tenant has applied for planning permission to demolish it


4. Appeal a penalty charge

You can ask for a review if you get a penalty charge notice. The notice will tell you how to do this. If the review fails you’ll get a letter confirming your penalty.

You can then appeal to the county court (or sheriff court in Scotland) but you must do this within 28 days of receiving your confirmed penalty.


Energy Performance Certificates - Non-Domestic (Commercial)
2016-05-09 23:06:41

This information is taken from and provides a comprehensive explanation of Business Rates and how they affect commercial premises occupiers. This information is

Land Registry Compliant Plans Explained.pdf